It’s pastry week on the Great British Bake Off, so here is the recipe for our vegan Bakewell Tart.
This bakewell has a lovely light sponge. So it’s not a traditional bakewell which has a heavier frangipane, we much prefer this though. It’s lovely on it’s own or served warm with vegan custard.
We’ve found that unsweetened soya milk works best in our recipe. If you use sweetened soya milk, the bakewell will come out a darker colour which isn’t ideal. We like to add a spoon of soya flour because it improves the texture and flavour.
1 batch of vegan shortcrust pastry, made using 6 oz plain flour, or use shop bought.
7 floz (200 ml) unsweetened soya milk
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
2½ floz (75 ml) light vegetable oil such as sunflower or rapeseed
2 teaspoons almond essence
5½ oz (155g) plain white flour
1 flat dessertspoon soya flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
¾ teaspoon baking powder
4 oz (115g) caster sugar
6 oz (170g) raspberry jam
1½ oz (40g) flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 200C/Gas 6.
- Roll out the pastry and fit into a 9 inch quiche dish or foil dish. Prick bottom and sides of pastry with a fork to prevent blistering and rising. Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 200C/400F oven for 12 minutes. Take the pastry case out of the oven and onto a cooling rack while you weigh out the sponge ingredients. Change the oven temperature to 180C/Gas 5.
- While the pastry is cooking start the cake batter. Whisk soya milk and vinegar together in a measuring jug and leave to stand for five minutes. Add vegetable oil and almond essence. Whisk again.
- Weigh flour, soya flour, bicarbonate and baking powder together in a smaller bowl and mix well to combine. Sift into a bigger bowl and then stir in sugar.
- Once pastry case is out of the oven, spread jam evenly to cover bottom of the pastry case. If necessary give jam a good stir with a knife before taking it out of jar.
- Now mix cake batter. Add wet ingredients in jug to dry ingredients in the bowl. Mix with a large spoon, making sure that you get all the flour off the bottom of the bowl. Don’t overmix, a few lumps are ok.
- Pour cake batter into pastry case, on top of the jam, and sprinkle over flaked almonds. Place in preheated oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until it’s nicely browned and a cocktail stick comes out clean.
- Place the bakewell on a cooling rack, still in the dish. Leave to cool for at least half an hour before removing from dish. Serve warm or allow to cool completely. Will keep for about five days in a sealed container in a cool place.