At first glance this looks complicated but each step is quite simple. And if you have some cake ready to pull out of the freezer you can save time.
Prepare in advance to give the jelly time to set and the custard and cream a chance to cool.
Quarter of this vanilla cake – ice the leftovers and eat or they will freeze well
8 oz (225g) fresh fruit, mixture of finely sliced bananas and pineapple
1 packet vegan jelly mix, i.e. Just Wholefoods, their lemon flavour works well in this recipe
1 pint (570 mls) custard (vegan custard powder, 1-2 tbsp sugar to taste and 1 pint soya milk)
Cream, the recipe below is from the Cake Scoffer by Ronny, or use our recipe
2 slightly rounded tablespoons cornflour
10 fl oz (280ml) soya milk
2 tsp vanilla essence
4 tbsp icing sugar
4 oz (120g) margarine
2 oz (55g) flaked almonds or chopped nuts or fruit to decorate
1. Make the sponge for the base.
2. Slice the cake into the bottom of a trifle dish. Chop the fruit and place it on top of the cake. Put the banana in first and then the pineapple. That way the banana all gets covered by the jelly, this will stop it going brown.
3. Make up jelly as per instructions. Pour it over the sponge and fruit.
5. Make up the custard according to the instructions on the packet* and let it go cold. *Note that when making custard with soya/rice/oat milk you’ll need to use extra custard powder, use about 1½ x the amount it says on the packet.
6. When the jelly has set, spread the custard over the top. Place in the fridge.
7. Make the cream. Put the soya milk and cornflour into a pan and mix well. Heat, stirring all the time until it goes thick. Allow to cool slightly. Blend the vanilla essence, icing sugar and margarine into the cooled mixture by beating with a fork, whisk or electric mixer.
8. Scoop onto the trifle, then sprinkle nuts on the top. Leave in the fridge for at least an hour. Just before serving sprinkle the nuts on top or decorate with fruit and serve.
Use a recipe for vegan palm oil free butter or instead of margarine use an extra 1.5 floz soya milk and 2.5 oz coconut oil. Add the coconut oil to the soya milk in step 7 as soon as it comes off the heat. Stir in until the oil melts, leave the mixture to cool slightly and proceed as per the steps above.