This is our wheat-based nut roast. It has a few steps to it – toasted hazelnuts, charred pepper etc. – but they really add to the flavour.
However if you want a quicker recipe, try our creamy cashew roast. It’s a recipe that we’ve made a lot and take to most fairs and festivals because it’s popular, tasty and a good gluten-free choice.
Roast hazelnut, cheese and cashew roast
4 oz (115g) cashew nuts
5 oz (140g) roasted hazelnuts
6 oz (170g) bread, cubed
3.5 oz (100g/½ pkt) vegan cheese*, grated
½ teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon thyme
generous pinch black pepper
7 fl oz (200ml) boiling water
1 oz (30g/1 round dessertspoon) yeast extract**
2 tbsp vegetable oil
8 oz (225g/1 large) onion, finely chopped
4 oz (115g/1 medium) carrot, grated
4 oz (115g) mushrooms, finely chopped
1 clove crushed garlic, optional
2.5 oz (45g) wholemeal flour
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
2. Chop nuts in food processor and put them into a large mixing bowl. Add bread to processor and process into breadcrumbs. Add to the chopped nuts along with the cheese, herbs and black pepper and stir together.
3. Measure the boiling water into a jug and add the yeast extract*. Stir until it dissolves in the water. You’ll use this in step 5.
4. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and carrots and cook and stir over a low heat until the carrots start to soften (7-10 minutes). Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook gently for another 5 minutes.
5. Take off the heat and mix in the wholemeal flour. Then gradually stir in the water and yeast extract mixture – you may need to whisk it to get rid of any lumps. Put the pan back on the heat and bring to the boil. Take it back off the heat and add the dry mix. Thoroughly mix the two together.
6. Place the mix in an oiled baking tin, about 8 x 10 inches, and flatten down with a fork. Place in the oven for 45-60 minutes or until it is nicely browned on top. Serves 6
* We use Bute Island strong or smoky cheddar sheese, most vegan cheeses should work, a stronger one is better though.
** Replace yeast extract with 2 dessertspoons soya sauce if desired.